Wednesday 25 January 2012

It's like a fairytale

How does this happen? It's been almost a week but I don't feel like I've done anything worth writing about. So I guess this will be a short update.
I went to St Malo. Pretty city but a less than impressive hostel (they only have the one). I did a day trip to Mont St Michel. You can really believe that besides the contents of the souvenir shops it hasn't changed in hundreds of years. I went to Bayeux where the hostel was even less impressive and the city wasn't really special enough to make up for it. And I went to Rouen with possibly the worst hostel of the lot and I don't even remember anything particular about the city. I ran out of time and didn't go to the D Day beaches. To be honest I was so sick of Normandy's idea of what youth hostels are meant to be that I was just ready to get out of there.
So I went to Belgium. I got to Brussels yesterday but only stayed the one night because the hostel options there weren't so good either. So this morning I got up early did a walk around the main sights of the city (what's with the manneken pis? Why is that even worth mentioning in passing let alone going out of the way to see?) Then checked out at the last minute and caught a train to Bruges. I walked around a lot. Ate some fries. Looked at the belfry but couldn't climb it since it was closed. Got rained on. Didn't get shot at. And now I'm on a train to Antwerp. And a much better hostel.
I suppose it's a short update mostly because I don't seem to want to go into detail. That would require effort. So I won't be surprised if I get some complaints about the uselessness of this post. Or more likely complaint. Most of you seem to just put up with me being useless at communicating.

1 comment:

  1. Oh , I do hope the hostels improve for you. I still check in regularly to read what and where you are up to. Guess you have viewed a fair amount of Europe now and I have seen none.
    Best wishes Elinor

    ReplyDelete