Wednesday 4 January 2012

Surprise! You're in Switzerland!

So Germany of all places doesn't do free wifi. Or at least this black forest part doesn't. We thought Frieburg was weird but Baden-Baden might even be worse. Not only do the hostels not have wifi (the only other places I've run into that didn't have wifi were in Greece and didn't seem to know about the internet at all. They didn't even have email. These places have whole websites) but the cafes and restaurants don't either (which most did in Greece). And this is Germany which makes a lot use of the internet. Unlike Greece where it was very difficult to get information online sometimes. I guess maybe it's another way for them to get more money out of you but I can live without internet for a few days or even handle sitting in starbucks for a few hours rather than pay money. Which means you are just going to have to make do without an update for a few more days. Of course by the time you read this that will be more of a past tense statement. And look! You made it those extra few days without an update! Well done.
So what have I been up to? I'm not really sure. Doesn't feel like I've done that much. Made it to Germany. Which is so far not my favourite place. Not that there's anything wrong with it (apart from the weird internet systems) but most countries by this point I would be thinking that I wished I had more time and that there was so much I was missing out on because I can't see everything. I just don't feel that way about Germany. I am looking forward to Dresden and Berlin but might even decide not to bother with Hamburg and just have more time in France instead. But maybe northern Germany will suddenly click for me.
So far we have been to Munich (where I got to see some classical statuary that I studied at uni), Fussen (where we did the tour of Ludwig II's elaborate and unfinished castle), Freiburg (where we explored the Munster and listened to fireworks) and Baden-Baden (where we didn't actually do a whole lot because it rained a lot and one of the days was a holiday so everything was closed). Right now we are still in Baden-Baden but I won't have internet until we get to Stuttgart tomorrow.
Germany is odd. It has what is generally accepted as the best website for the train system in all Europe and is well known for those trains always being on time so I expected the train system to be good. That seemed the logical conclusion. But it's either very expensive or very convoluted. To get from Fussen to Frieburg we had to take 5 different trains. Take a look at a map and you'll see that they're not that far apart. There are mountains in the way so they can't go straight there but the way we went was rather circuitous. We could only take the regional trains which meant we had to sort of zigzag. And as we were waiting for our last train to depart I decided to go to the vending machine because it was the first chance we'd had all day since at all the other stops we'd had about 5 minutes to get from one train to the next (once only 3). And I was rather surprised when it gave me back change that was not euros. It was Swiss francs. Because the cheapest way to get from Fussen to Frieburg is on regional trains which for some reason go via Switzerland.
So I can add another country to the list of paces I've been to on this trip. I hadn't planned on going to Switzerland but I spent about as much time there as I did in Monaco so I think it counts anyway.

3 comments:

  1. Nice post. Thanks Hon. I guess Germany may be too civilised. How's the food. Try a bratwurst. Yum. Momb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha... Love. It. I wish I got spontaneous "You're in another country" moments. Instead I got to go to Walmart. Well... Today I babysat Bree's kids. That was fun/challenging. And frequently surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peggy , I am just home from the Riviera of southland Riverton rocks, a great break from the ChCh rocks. Your trip still amazes me and O to be young and able to do all you have. Enjoy 2012 Elinor

    ReplyDelete