Wednesday 11 April 2012

Last leg

Well my final week is drawing to a close. It doesn't really feel like 7 months. I spent this week in the USA. Not a lot of time but I prioritised people over stuff for this continent and there were more people in Canada. I spent 2 days in New York where I walked an insane amount and tried to fit as much as possible into not enough time. I didn't get to everything but I did see a lot. I walked over the Manhattan bridge, through China town and Little Italy, past the empire state building, through the public library, around the theatre district, times square and MoMA. I spent as much time as I could afford at the Met and wasn't all that disappointed to discover that the guggenheim was closed on Thursdays. I had already filled my art gallery quota. Instead I wandered through central park until I was completely exhausted. Turns out 6 weeks sitting on sofas and being driven around by friends and family wasn't so good for my stamina. So I headed to the library and say there for a while until I could feel my feet again. All in all New York was pretty impressive and definitely deserved more time than I gave it.
After New York I headed to Salem where I spent 2 days with family friends I hadn't seen in yonks so it was good to catch top. I got the driving tour of Salem because it was colder than expected and the baby was not happy being in the stroller. Which meant my feet got a nice break before I tortured them again in San Fransisco. I didn't really have a list of things to see in San Fransisco. I just walked. One way the first day the other way the second day. I found the big park, a part of town with lots of little independent shops and cafes, the part of town with lots of designer shops and no cafes (guess which I liked better), wandered along the fisherman's wharf (with a very cloudy view of golden gate bridge and alcatraz) and climbed many hills. 
And now I am just one 13 hour flight from New Zealand. So much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment