Saturday 5 November 2011

A halfway decent excuse this time

For not writing anything for a while. The internet at my hostel here in Rome is very unreliable. I am writing this on their computer but I am really unused to this kind of keyboard (the type where you have to press quite hard on each button) so it takes me a really long time to write anything. I am writing a nice big update on my phone and will post it when I have more stable internet. Which hopefully will be in Sorrento but to be honest most of the internet in Italy has been somewhat pathetic.
Also, you have all failed me. It seems everyone thought my question about the David was either rhetorical or someone else would answer it. Or no one knows why it's so special. But I am sure there is a reason. There always is. I thought one of you smart people would be able to tell me. Are you enjoying keeping that information from me? You know I could just google it right? But you were meant to save me the trouble of reading through all the dates and specifications. Oh well, I didn't really see it anyway. Maybe if I found out what was so special I would regret not going. But probably not.

2 comments:

  1. Hi honey.

    I don't think anyone really knows why the David is so special. It is sort of like the Mona Lisa in the Louvre. Massive numbers of people will queue up for what is a rather nondescript small painting, and ignore the fantastic art around them as they queue. The David, I suppose, is the epitome of the peak of Renaissance art, and particularly by Michelangelo. So that is why it is special. I think it is similar to why some people these days are celebrities because they are celebrities.

    I know that doesn't answer your question, but just wandering around Venice, and other cities, you will have seen wondrous works of art, but they don't have the "name" to excite the same degree of interest.

    Enjoy anyway!

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know the amswer. I was fairly impreesed with it when I was there but later found out I had only seen a copy and didn't know. Couldn't even tell. I was much more taken with The Pieta in St Peters. It is the question of the ages. Not "why do I like it?" or "why don't I?" but "what are they on about?!" Beth

    ReplyDelete